Sunday, December 23, 2012

A Transformation

In previous years, we've always scrambled to make sure everything was perfect for Christmas.  A pile of Christmas presents for the kids, including matching Christmas pajamas to wake up in, a neat & tidy house, gatherings and parties, a family meal that was perfect.  With me being a perfectionist, the holidays brought on stress and anxiety.  I'd get everything accomplished, hoping that all these "things" would make everyone happy and we'd have a wonderful Holiday. 

A few weeks ago, we adopted Marley/Yofi.  Since then, I've gone through a personal transformation. As my husband and I discussed Christmas presents for the kids, we really thought it out.  Do they need alot of gifts?  Yes, they might enjoy a shiny new present for awhile, but then the attention moves towards Marley.  He's brought everything into prospective for us.  Material items have less significance as we think about our love for Marley and the joy that he's given to our family. Our lives feel full & the love of family takes center stage.  In our society, it seems like Christmas has become more about "stuff" and less about God and Love.  It has been very liberating not worry about Christmas and everything turning out perfect.  In fact, I've been enjoying Marley so much this week that I have no idea what we will be eating for the Christmas dinner.  I'll get the family's input and wing it.  

As a first time dog owner, I bought a variety of items that I thought Marley needed.  One of them included a pair of dog booties.  Yes, I actually put them on him.  He was a good sport about it and tried to walk outside.  It was hilarious! The poor dog could NOT walk in the booties and they eventually fell off.  He looked at me like I was crazy.  It's a good thing that Petsmart has an easy return policy, because I've returned alot of items that realistically didn't work out.  Another part of my transition has included the ability to not care about a spotlessly clean house.  I do wipe Marley's feet when he comes in from the outdoors, but one look at that cute face and I don't really care how my floors look. 

Here's to transformations and getting back to basics.  




1 comment:

  1. Gina, we appear to be kindred spirits! I am so glad that if I couldn't have Yofi, he went to someone who needed him more than we did. And yes, our babies will meet again I'm sure!

    ReplyDelete